Friday, March 25, 2011

A proud moment

Everyone knows that raising teenagers is sometimes a frustrating experience (to say the least!)
However, there are times when you just simply are SO PROUD of your child, that you have to say 'something' about it. I had one of those moments yesterday... :)

D-Dawg, my 14 year old, is your typical young teen. A bit of attitude, a bit of selfishness, and the kindest heart and sweetest soul you'll ever meet.
He was recently invited to go with a friend on Spring Break - an opportunity that I can not provide for my children. The trip was even more enticing as it included kayaking, swimming and snorkeling, and a chance to visit a famous restaurant belonging to a cook/chef that my son really enjoys. Not to mention the fact that it would be 7 whole days of no-sisters, no-brother, no-mom fun!!
He was also asked to go and work for a family friend, planting trees and doing general yard-scape and hard labor work, for the same days.

As a mother, it's very hard to 'not' make a decision for your children. I felt that he 'should' help the family friend, who has been very kind and generous to our family for a number of years... but I knew that the opportunity for a vacation with a friend was a very strong pull for my young man. We discussed the pros and cons, and I left the decision up to him.

Late yesterday, he told his friend he was sorry but he would not be able to go on vacation with him.

I am extremely proud of this very difficult decision, and I know how much it hurt him to give up the opportunity. Additionally, his friend was hurt and upset, but we are hoping they will be able to patch things up. In turn, I am hopeful that this family friend will understand what a difficult choice this was for my son, and include a bit of fun along with the hard labor.

I have to say that I am truly amazed and humbled by my son today. I am not sure I would have been strong enough to make the same choice at his age.

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a tough choice to face. No one would have faulted him if he had chosen the vacation over the labor. How mature of him to recognize the value of respect for the family friend who has helped you out - by agreeing to this personal sacrifice and help HIM out in return.

    I do hope his young friend who generously invited him on the vacation understands the maturity of thought that went into the decision and can respect D- for that, despite his own disappointment. I hope there will be other "fun" opportunities for D- again in his future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just tells me that YOU raised a great young man!!!

    ReplyDelete